Popular Posts

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Eat well

     I spent a lot of time being sick. I didn't know what to do besides what the doctors told me which was basically just to take my medicine and that I have these illnesses so I can't really expect to feel 100%. One thing I did begin to notice was that certain foods caused flares. One thing was for sure acne was becoming a brand new problem and joint pain, which was not a new thing, was making life nearly impossible. One rainy day I found myself trapped in the top bunk of my dorm because my joints were so swollen and tender I couldn't move. I realized the acne was caused by dairy, cutting that out also helped my Crohn's pain as well. In my house we didn't really consume dairy but while away at college, I did eat it so perhaps that explains why I got so sick. I also realized, though it took quite some time, that wheat was causing my joint pain. I decided to do a liver cleanse right before the severe Lupus flare which is why it took so long for me to go to the doctor. I thought what I was having was a "healing crisis." Anyway, I realized upon eating wheat again that it is a definite trigger for joint pain. In recent times, however, I have found that not all wheat is bad. I can tolerate Ezekiel sprouted grain products. Also I notice when I do eat something with wheat flour, my skin will break out again. I have some theories on why that is. I'll go into that in another post.

      Another thing I avoid is meat. The animal fat is very inflammatory except maybe salmon or tuna. I avoid fish, however, because I don't like eating animals and there is so much pollution in the ocean now I think there would be a lot more problems with eating the toxins that would be bad in the long run. I did however, get myself out of a Crohn's flare which was causing me to lose hair due to an inability to absorb protein. I just felt guilty after eating it for a while. It did help me at one time though so I can't leave that out but eat at your own risk. I actually was helped a lot by the book, Eating Right For A Bad Gut. My insurance company case worker sent it to me and you can buy it from Amazon rather inexpensively.

   With Lupus, it's good to avoid meat, especially if you have had kidney involvement. Breaking down meat is hard on the kidneys and if they don't have to work as hard, they can work better. Creatinine is a bi-product of digesting meat. They check for elevated creatinine levels when checking your kidney function if you have lupus, if you're not eating meat, then you tax your kidneys less and your creatinine levels can stay low. It's just my own theory so you can take it up with your doctor or nutritionist. I recommend a nutritionist as a doctor is not usually required to take any classes in nutrition so they are often clueless about diet. My first gastroenterologist told me I had to eat only white flour and white rice and that I had to cook all my vegetables to mush, nothing raw. That made me feel worse.

   Now for all the foods you want to eat:
1. Fat- not all fats but some are really good for you.
     -avocados
     -flax oil and flax seeds however, don't eat seeds if you are in a current Crohn's flare
     -coconut oil and anything coconut it's anti-inflammatory and builds your blood.
     -olive oil is excellent for cooking it also has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. I also use it on my skin sometimes.

2. Fresh, raw fruits and veggies eat as many as you can more veggies than fruits, too much sugar is bad, especially if you have Crohn's. Peel your apples if you have a Crohn's flare and eat at least an apple a day during a flare. It's great for nausea. If your flare is really severe, try juicing your fruits and veggies and give the GI tract a break start with this recipe. Avoid beets though, they can cause flares. Also, while technically it's a grain, do avoid corn while flaring and when you do eat corn, or any other fruit or vegetable, it should be organic.

3. Beans- Especially chickpeas, white beans, kidney beans, edamame, etc. Eat organic and make sure there is no sugar or lard or anything else added if you're buying canned. Beans are a great source of protein and a good, safe fiber for Crohn's sufferers. I found that fiber from beans and apples and oatmeal actually helped quell the nausea I had constantly from Crohn's.
My favorite chickpea snack is hummus. I love to eat Trader Joe's mediterranean hummus with veggies. If you don't have a TJ's nearby, try this amazing recipe: Copycat Trader Joe's Mediterranean Hummus. Sometimes I even thin the hummus out and use it as salad dressing.

4. Grains- Oats (not instant or quick-cooking), brown rice or wild rice, sprouted wheat, barley, spelt, etc. Avoid all processed grains, especially wheat. Try my favorite Ezekiel sprouted grain products. It's the only wheat I can tolerate without skin breakouts and hives and joint pain.

5. Raw cacao- It's a superfood always makes my cramps or headaches go away. It's great with nuts and raisins or I like to make this warm cacao drink. You don't have to make your own almond milk I jut buy it from Trader Joe's. Sorry, I live really close to the TJ's and I am there nearly every day so I can't help but  talk about them, I swear I'm not trying to make you guys jealous. Whole Foods is a great option too if you don't have TJ's Plus you can get a lot of soy, coconut or almond milks at regular grocery stores.

6. Yogurt, Kefir, Sour Kraut, Kimchi, other fermented foods- These are important for everyone but especially if you have Crohn's there is a lot of research out there that says that probiotics are helpful in controlling Crohn's symptoms and all of the above foods have them. You'll want to get non-dairy sources of yogurt and kefir as dairy and all of it's hormones and antibiotics and added sugar will negate any good bacteria.


That's it for now. In a later post I'll share what supplements have helped change my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment